Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Halwa is a slow-cooked Indian pudding, that is traditionally made in most households during festivities and special occasions like weddings, parties and celebrations as a dessert. Also known as Gajrela, it is prepared by simmering grated carrots in full fat milk, sweetened with sugar and garnished with rich ghee and nuts. As a popular sweet in the Indian cuisine, this dish is usually prepared during the winter seasons as a warm dessert and can be savoured by itself or with a side of vanilla ice cream or fresh cream. Although there are different methods of preparation, an easy technique using the microwave oven is presented here to relish Carrot Halwa quickly at your homes.
HOW TO MAKE
- Add 1tbsp ghee onto the grated carrot and mix very well.
- Keep it in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- After removing from oven, mix it really well.
- Then add milk onto the carrot and mix again, so it spreads evenly.
- Microwave the mixture for 8-10 minutes.
- After it is taken out, add sugar and again microwave for next 5 minutes.
- Then mix the ingredients together, so everything is evenly spread.
- Sprinkle the cardamom powder on the dish and mix again.
- Add 1tbsp of ghee and microwave it for 3 minutes. Garnish the halwa with chopped almonds.
The colourful orangish yummy carrot halwa or Gajar ka Halwa is ready to serve.