Traditional Kerala Erisheri | Pumpkin Erisheri Recipe
Kerala boasts of a splendid range of food, and reaffirms its tastes even when it comes to foods that have come all the way from other states / nations or even continents. It must also come as a surprise to realize that the authentic Kerala cuisine is mostly vegan, a speciality which can only be found in the local dishes of Kerala. Erissery is an all-time favourite item in Kerala. This traditional flavoured Kerala cuisine is generally made for festivals and special feasts like Onam and Vishu. This delectable vegetarian recipe is a combination of pumpkin, yam, red beans, coconut, spices and some tempering served as a side dish to hot steamed rice or brown boiled rice.
Prep time : 10 mins
Cook time : 30 mins
Servings : 4
- Yam – 1 cup
- Pumpkin – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black eyed peas – ½ cup
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil – 2 tblsp
- Mustard seeds / Kaduku – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Dry Red chillies – 2
- Curry leaves a sprig Coconut – 3 tblsp grated
- Soak black eyed peas overnight. Cook in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistle. Let the pressure release by itself. Open and set aside.
- Take grinding ingredients to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take vegetables in a pan. Season with salt and turmeric powder and cook till vegetables is cooked.
- Add in cooked peas and mix well. Add in spice powders and mix well.
- Add in ground paste and cook till the masala is thickened.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in seasoning ingredients and let it sizzle.
- Add in coconut and cook till golden.
- Add the seasoning and mix well.